Dissertation: In Sickness and In Health: Understanding the Effects of Marriage on Health. August 2001 [Permanent Link]
Chapter 1: Introduction [PDF]
Chapter 2: Empirical Results on the Association Between Marital Status and Mortality Among the Seriously Ill [PDF]
Chapter 3: Interpreting the Effects of Spousal Loss on Mortality [PDF]
Chapter 4: Empirical Results on the Association Between Marital Status and Health Care Use Among the Seriously Ill [PDF]
Chapter 5: Notes Towards a Theory of Relationships and Health [PDF]
Appendix A: Data Construction [PDF]
1. Christakis NA, Iwashyna TJ. Attitude and self-reported practice regarding prognostication in a national sample of internists. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158(21): 2389-2395 [Archives Fulltext] [Permanent Link] [PDF]
2. Iwashyna TJ, Zhang JX, Lauderdale DS, Christakis NA. A methodology for identifying married couples in Medicare data: mortality, morbidity, and health care use among the married elderly. Demography 1998; 35(4): 413-419 [Permanent Link] [PDF]
3. Christakis NA, Iwashyna TJ. Spousal Illness Burden is Associated with Delayed Use of Hospice Care in Terminally Ill Patients. J Palliat Med 1998; 1(1): 3-10
4. Iwashyna TJ, Christakis NA. Attitude and self-reported practice regarding hospice in a national sample of internists. J Palliat Med 1998; 1(4): 241-248
6. Zhang JX, Iwashyna TJ, Christakis NA. The performance of different lookback periods and sources of information for Charlson comorbidity adjustment in Medicare claims. Med Care1999; 37(11): 1128-1139
7. Christakis NA, Iwashyna TJ. Impact of individual and market factors on the timing of initiation of hospice terminal care. Med Care 2000; 38(5): 528-541
10. Christakis NA, Iwashyna TJ, Zhang JX. Care after the onset of serious illness: a novel claims-based dataset exploiting substantial cross-set linkages to study end-of-life care. J Palliat Med 2002; 5(4): 515-529
11. Iwashyna TJ, Zhang JX, Christakis NA. Disease-specific patterns of hospice and related healthcare use in an incidence cohort of seriously ill elderly patients. J Palliat Med 2002; 5(4): 531-538
12. Iwashyna TJ, Curlin FA, Christakis NA. Racial, ethnic, and affluence differences in elderly patients' use of teaching hospitals. J Gen Intern Med 2002;17(9): 696-703 [PubMed Fulltext] [Permanent Link] [PDF]
13. Iwashyna TJ, Lamont EB. Effectiveness of adjuvant fluorouracil in clinical practice: a population-based cohort study of elderly patients with stage III colon cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002; 20(19): 3992-3998
15. Iwashyna TJ, Brennan G, Zhang JX, Christakis NA. Finding Married Couples in the Medicare Claims Data. Health Serv Outcomes Res Methodol 2002; 3(1): 75-86
16. Christakis NA, Iwashyna TJ. The health impact of health care on families: a matched cohort study of hospice use by decedents and mortality outcomes in surviving, widowed spouses. Soc Sci Med 2003; 57(3): 465-475
17. Iwashyna TJ. On the Detection of Nursing Home Use in Medicare Claims. Health Serv Outcomes Res Methodol 2003; 4(3): 187-196
20. Han B, Remsburg RE, Iwashyna TJ. Differences in hospice use between black and white patients during the period 1992 through 2000. Med Care 2006; 44(8): 731-737
21. Iwashyna TJ, Christie JD. Low use of durable medical equipment by chronically disabled elderly. J Pain Symptom Manage 2007; 33(3): 324-330
22. Rhodes KV, Iwashyna TJ. Child injury risks are close to home: parent psychosocial factors associated with child safety. Matern Child Health J 2007; 11(3): 269-275 [PDF]
23. Netzer G, Shah CV, Iwashyna TJ, Lanken PN, Finkel B, Fuchs B, Guo W, Christie, JD. Association of Red Cell Transfusion with Mortality in Patients with Acute Lung Injury. Chest 2007; 132(4): 1116-1123 [CHEST Fulltext] [CHEST PDF]
24. Kahn JM, Linde-Zwirble WT, Wunsch H, Barnato AE, Iwashyna TJ, Roberts MS, Lave JR, Angus DC. Potential value of regionalized intensive care for mechanically ventilated medical patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008; 177(3): 285-291 [PubMed Fulltext] [PDF]
25. Kahn JM, Asch RJ, Iwashyna TJ, Rubenfeld GD, Angus DC, Asch DA. Perceived barriers to the regionalization of critical care: a preliminary qualitative study. BMC Health Ser Res 2008; 8: 239 [BMC Fulltext] [PDF]
29. Kahn JM, Asch RJ, Iwashyna TJ, Haynes K, Rubenfeld GD, Angus DC, Asch DA. Physician attitudes toward regionalization of adult critical care: a national survey. Crit Care Med 2009; 37(3): 2149-2154. [Critical Care Medicine Fulltext]
30. Kahn JM, Ten Have TR, Iwashyna TJ. The relationship between hospital volume and mortality in mechanical ventilation: an instrumental variable analysis. Health Serv Res 2009; 44(3): 862-879 [HSR Fulltext] [HSR PDF]
31. Lott JP, Iwashyna TJ, Christie JD, Asch DA, Kramer AA, Kahn JM. Critical illness outcomes in specialty versus general intensive care units. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009; 179(8): 676-683 [AJRCCM Fulltext] [AJRCCM PDF]
32. Prasad M, Iwashyna TJ, Cristie JD, Kramer AA, Silber JH, Volpp KG, Kahn JM. The effect of work-hours regulations on ICU Mortality in United States teaching hospitals. Crit Care Med 2009; 37(9): 2564-2569 [Critical Care Medicine Fulltext]
33. Kahn JM, Carson SS, Angus DC, Linde-Zwirble WT, Iwashyna TJ. Development and validation of an algorithm for identifying prolonged mechanical ventilation in administrative data. Health Serv Outcomes Res Methodol 2009; 9(2): 117-132 [Springer Fulltext]
35. Rhodes KV, Iwashyna TJ. Male Perpetrators of Intimate Partner Violence: Support for Health Care Interventions Targeted at Level of Risk. Behav Change 2009; 26(3): 174-189 [Atypon Fulltext][Permanent Link] [PDF]
36. Seymour CW, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR, Hough CL, Martin GS. Marital status and the epidemiology and outcomes of sepsis. Chest 2010; 137(6): 1289-1296 [CHEST Fulltext]
37. Sasson C, Keirns CC, Smith D, Sayre M, Macy M, Meurer W, McNally BF, Kellerman AL, Iwashyna TJ. Small Area Variations in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: Does the Neighborhood Matter? Ann Int Med 2010; 153(1): 19-22 [Annals Fulltext] [Annals PDF]
38. Dine CJ, Miller J, Fuld A, Bellini LM, Iwashyna TJ. Educating physicians-in-training about resource utilization and their own outcomes of care in the inpatient setting. J Grad Med Educ 2010; 2(2): 175-180 [JGME Fulltext] [JGME PDF]
40. Miller MA, Arndt JL, Konkle MA, Chenoweth CE, Iwashyna TJ, Flaherty KR, Hyzy RC. A Polyurethane Cuffed Endotracheal Tube (PUC-ETT) is Associated with Decreased Rates of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia. J Crit Care 2011; 26(3): 280-286 [J Crit Care Fulltext]
41. Kahn JM, Iwashyna TJ. Accuracy of the discharge destination field in administrative data for identifying transfer to a long-term acute care hospital. BMC Res Notes 2010 3: 205 [BMC Fulltext]
42. Iwashyna TJ, Kahn JM, Hayward RA, Nallamothu BK. Interhospital transfers among Medicare beneficiaries admitted for acute myocardial infarction at non-revascularization hospitals. Circ: Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2010; 3(5): 468-475 [Circ Fulltext] [Permanent Link] [Circ PDF]
43. Kim C, Gebremariam A, Iwashyna TJ, Dalton VK, Lee JM. Longitudinal influences of friends and parents upon unprotected vaginal intercourse in adolescents. Contraception 2011; 83:138-144
44. Iwashyna TJ, Fuld A, Asch DA, Bellini LM. The impact of residents, interns and attendings on inpatient laboratory ordering patterns. Acad Med 2011; 86(1):139-145 [Academic Medicine Fulltext] [Permanent Link] [PDF]
45. Nicholas LH, Dimick JB, Iwashyna TJ. Do Hospitals Alter Patient Care Effort Allocations Under Pay-for-Performance? Health Serv Res 2011; 46(1 pt 1): 61-81
46. Iwashyna TJ, Ely EW, Smith DM, Langa KM. Long-term Cognitive Impairment and Functional Disability Among Survivors of Severe Sepsis. JAMA 2010; 304(16): 1787-1794 [JAMA Fulltext]
47. Netzer G, Liu X, Shanholtz C, Harris AD, Verceles A, Iwashyna TJ. Decreased Mortality Resulting from a Multi-Component Intervention in a Tertiary Care Medical Intensive Care Unit. Crit Care Med 2011; 39(2): 284-293 [Journal Fulltext]
48. Bosk EA, Veinot T, Iwashyna TJ. Which Patients, and Where: A Qualitative Study of Patient Transfers from Community Hospitals. Med Care 2011; 49(6): 592-598 [Journal Fulltext]
49. Sasson C, Keirns CC, Smith DM, Sayre M, Macy M, Meurer W, McNally BF, Kellerman AL, Iwashyna TJ. Examining the Contextual Effects of Neighborhood on Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest and the Provision of Bystander Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. Resuscitation 2011; 82(6): 674-679 [Journal Fulltext]
50. Unnikrishnan KP, Patnaik D, Iwashyna TJ. Discovering Specific Cascades in Critical Care Transfer Networks. IHI'10 Proc 1st ACM International Health 2010; 541-544 [ACM Fulltext]
51. Unnikrishnan KP, Patnaik D, Iwashyna TJ. Spatio-temporal Structure of US Critical Care Transfer Network. Proc 2011 AMIA Clin Res Informatics Summit 2011; 74-78 [AMIA Fulltext]
52. Cooke CR, Nallamothu BK, Kahn JM, Birkmeyer JD, Iwashyna TJ. Race and Timeliness of Transfer for Revascularization in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. Med Care 2011; 49(7): 662-667 [LWW Fulltext]
53. Skolarus LE, Morgenstern LB, Zahuranec DB, Burke JF, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Acute Care and Long-term Mortality among Elderly Patients with Intracerebral Hemorrhage who Undergo Chronic Life Sustaining Procedures. J Stroke Cerebvasc Dis (in press) [PubMed Link to In-Press]
54. Karkada UH, Adamic LA, Kahn JM, Iwashyna TJ. Limiting the Spread of Highly Resistant Hospital Acquired Microorganisms Via Critical Care Transfer: A Simulation Study. Int Care Med2011; 37(10): 1633-1640 [Springer Fulltext] [Permanent Link] [PDF]
55. Lyon SM, Benson NM, Cooke CR, Iwashyna TJ, Radcliffe S, Kahn JM. The Effect of Insurance Status on Mortality and Procedural Utilization in Critically Ill Patients. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2011; 184(7): 809-815 [AJRCCM Fulltext]
56. Rakoski MO, McCammon RJ, Piette JD, Iwashyna TJ, Marrero JA, Lok AS, Langa KM, Volk M. Burden of Cirrhosis on Older Americans and Their Families: Analysis of the Health and Retirement Study. Hepatology 2012; 55(1): 184-189 [Journal Fulltext]
57. Miller MA, Krein SL, Saint S, Kahn JM, Iwashyna TJ. Organizational Characteristics Associated with the Use of Daily Interruption of Sedation in US Hospitals: A National Study. BMJ Quality & Safety 2012; 21(2): 145-151
58. Nicholas LH, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ, Weir DR. Advanced Directives and End-of-Life Medicare Expenditures. JAMA 2011; 306(13): 1447-1453 [JAMA Fulltext]
59. Lane-Fall MB, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR, Benson NM, Kahn JM. Insurance and Racial Differences in Long-Term Acute Care Utilization After Critical Illness. Crit Care Med 2012; 40(4): 1143-1149 [PubMed with Link to Journal]
60. Seymour CW, Iwashyna TJ, Ehlenbach WJ, Wunsch H, Cooke CR. Hospital-Level variation in the use of intensive care. Health Serv Res 2012; 47(5):2060-2080. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01402.x
61. Miller MA, Bosk EA, Iwashyna TJ, Krein SL. Implementation challenges in the intensive care unit: the why, who and how of daily interruption of sedation. J Crit Care 2012; 27(2): 218. [SciVerse Fulltext]
62. Kahn JM, Werner RM, Carson SS, Iwashyna TJ. Variation in long-term acute care hospital use after intensive care. Med Care Res Review 2012; 69(3): 339-350 [Journal Fulltext]
63. Burke JF, Kerber KA, Iwashyna TJ, Morgenstern LB. Wide Variation and Rising Utilization of Stroke MRI: Data from Eleven States. Ann Neurol 2012; 71(2): 179-185 [Journal Fulltext]
64. Iwashyna TJ, Netzer G, Langa KM, Cigolle C. Spurious Inferences about Long-term Outcomes: The Case of Severe Sepsis and Geriatric Conditions. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2012; 185(8): 834-841 [AJRCCM FullText]
65. Gershengorn HB, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR, Scales DC, Kahn JM, Wunsch H. Variation in the use of intensive care for adults with diabetic ketoacidosis. Crit Care Med 2012; 40(7): 2009-2015 [PubMed with Link to Journal]
66. Shaffer VA, Merkle EC, Fagerlin A, Griggs JJ, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Chemotherapy is not associated with cognitive decline in older adults with breast and colorectal cancer: Findings from a prospective study. Med Care 2012; 50(10):849-855 [Permanent PDF Link]
67. Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR, Wunsch H, Kahn JM. The Population Burden of Long-term Survivorship After Severe Sepsis Among Older Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc 2012 60(6):1070-1077 [PUBMED link] [Permanent PDF Link]
68. Davydow DS, Hough CL, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Depressive Symptoms in Spouses of Older Patients with Severe Sepsis. Crit Care Med 2012; 40(8): 2335-2341 [Permanent PDF Link]
69. Davydow DS, Hough CL, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Symptoms of Depression in Survivors of Severe Sepsis: A Prospective Cohort Study. Am J Geri Psych (in press) [PubMed Link]
70. Cooke CR, Kennedy EH, Wiitala WL, Almenoff PL, Sales AE, Iwashyna TJ. Despite Variation in Volume, VA Hospitals Show Consistent Outcomes among Patients with Non-Post-Operative Mechanical Ventilation. Crit Care Med 2012; 40(9):2569-2575 [PubMed Link] [Permanent PDF Link]
71. Iwashyna TJ, Odden A, Rohde J, Bonham C, Kuhn L, Malani P, Chen L, Flanders S. Identifying Patients with Severe Sepsis Using Administrative Claims: Patient-Level Validation of the Angus Implementation of the International Consensus Conference Definition of Severe Sepsis. Med Care (in press) [PubMed with link to epub-ahead-of-print]
72. Davydow DS, Hough CL, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Pre-Sepsis Depressive Symptoms are Associated with Incident Cognitive Impairment in Survivors of Severe Sepsis: A Prospective Cohort Study of Older Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc 2012; 60(12):2290-2296 [PubMed Link]
73. Veinot T, Bosk E, Iwashyna TJ. Revenue, relationships and routines: the social organization of AMI patient transfers in the United States. Soc Sci & Med 2012; 75(1):1800-1820 [PubMed Link]
74. Wagner J, Iwashyna TJ, Kahn JM. Reasons underlying interhospital transfers to an academic medical intensive care unit. J Crit Care (in press)
75. Rubinson L, Mutter R, Viboud C, Hupert N, Uyeki T, Creanga A, Finelli L, Iwashyna TJ, Carr B, Merchant R, Katikineni D, Vaughn F, Clancy C, Lurie N. Impact of the Fall 2009 Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 Pandemic on U.S. Hospitals. Med Care (in press)
76. Davydow DS, Hough CL, Levine D, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Functional Disability, Cognitive Impairment and Depression Following Hospitalization for Pneumonia. Am J Med (in press)
77. Miller MA, Krein SL, George CT, Watson SR, Hyzy RC, Iwashyna TJ. Diverse Attitudes to and Understanding of Spontaneous Awakening Trials (SAT): Results from a Statewide Quality Improvement Collaborative. Crit Care Med (in press)
78. Rohde J, Odden A, Bonham C, Kuhn L, Malani P, Chen L, Flanders S, Iwashyna TJ. The Epidemiology of Acute Ogran System Dysfunction from Severe Sepsis Outside of the ICU. J Hosp Med 2013; 8(5):243-247 [Journal Fulltext]
79. Kahn JM, Cicero BD, Wallace DJ, Iwashyna TJ. Adoption of intensive care unit telemedicine in the United States. Crit Care Med 2013; 42(2): 362-368. [Journal Fulltext] [Free Fulltext]
81. Reineck LA, Pike F, LeTQ, Cicero BD, Iwashyna TJ. Hospital factors associated with discharge bias in intensive care unit performance measurement. Crit Care Med (in press)
82. Rosenberg AA, Haft JW, Bartlett R, Iwashyna TJ, Huang SK, Lynch WR, Napolitano LM. Prolonged Duration ECMO for ARDS: Futility, Native Lung Recovery, or Transplantation? ASAIO J 2013; 59(6): 642-650
83. Odden AJ, Rohde JM, Bonham C, Kuhn L, Malani PN, Chen LM, Flanders SM, Iwashyna TJ. Functional Outcomes of General Medical Patients with Severe Sepsis. BMC Infect Dis. 2013; 13(1):588. [Free Full Text]
84. Lomi A, Vu DQ, Pallotti F, Mascia D, Conaldi G, Iwashyna TJ. Quality of Care and Interhospital Collaboration: A Study of Patient Transfers in Italy. Med Care (in press)
85. Prescott HC, Chang VW, O’Brien JM, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. Obesity and one-year outcomes in older Americans with severe sepsis. Crit Care Med.(in press)
86. Govindan S, Iwashyna TJ, Watson SR, Hyzy RC, Miller MA. Issues of Survivorship are Rarely Addressed During ICU Stays: Baseline Results from a Statewide Quality Improvement Collaborative. Annals Am Thoracic Soc (in press)
87. Nicholas LH, Bynum JPW, Iwashyna TJ, Wier DR, Langa KM. Advance Directives And Nursing Home Stays Associated With Less Aggressive End-Of-Life Care For Cognitively Impaired Patients. Health Affairs (in press)
106. Iwashyna TJ, Burke JF, Sussman JB, Prescott HC, Hayward RA, Angus DC. Implications of heterogeneity of treatment for reporting and analysis of randomized trials in critical care. Am J Resp Crit Care Med (in press)
107. Patterson OV, Jones M, Yao Y, Viernes B, Alba PR, Iwashyna TJ, DuVall SL. Extraction of Vital Signs from Clinical Notes. Stud Health Technol Inform 2015; 216: 1035. [Fulltext]
108. Prescott HC, Kepreos KM, Wiitala WL, Iwashyna TJ. Temporal Changes in the Influence of Hospitals and Regional Healthcare Networks on Severe Sepsis Mortality. Crit Care Med 2015; 43(7): 1368-1374. [PubMed]
109. Iwashyna TJ, Hodgson CL, Pilcher D, Bailey M, Bellomo R. Persistent Critical Illness Characterised by Australian and New Zealand ICU Clinicians. Crit Care Resusc 2015; 17(3): 153-158. [PubMed] You might also be interested in Towards defining persistent critical illness and other varieties of chronic critical illness.
110. Sjoding MW, Valley TS, Prescott HC, Wunsch H, Iwashyna TJ. Rising billing for intermediate intensive care among hospitalized Medicare beneficiaries between 1996 and 2010. Am J Resp Crit Care Med (forthcoming)
111. Kramer RD, Cooke CR, Liu V, Miller III RR, Iwashyna TJ. Variation in the Contents of Sepsis Bundles and Quality Measures: A Systematic Review. Annals Am Thoracic Soc (in press)
112. Valley TS, Sjoding MW, Ryan AM, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. Association of Intensive Care Unit Admission with Mortality Among Older Patients with Pneumonia. JAMA 2015; 314(12):1272-1279. [JAMA Fulltext]
113. The TEAM Study Investigators. A Bi-National, Multi-Center, Pilot, Feasibility RCT of Early Goal-Directed Mobilization in ICU. Crit Care Med (in press) TEAM Writing Committee: Hodgson CL, Bailey M, Bellomo R, Berney S, Buhr H, Denehy L, Gabbe B, Harrold M, Higgins A, Iwashyna TJ, Papworth R, Parke R, Batman S, Presnelli J, Saxena M, Skinner E, Tipping C, Young P, Webb S.
114. Sjoding MW, Prescott HC, Wunsch H, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. Longitudinal changes in intensive care unit admissions among elderly patients in the United States. Crit Care Med. (in press)
115. Byhoff E, Harris JA, Langa KM, Iwashyna TJ. An examination of racial and ethnic differentials in end-of-life Medicare expenditures. J Am Geriatr Soc. (in press)
116. Chan PS, Krein SL, Tang F, Iwashyna TJ, Harrod M, Kennedy M, Lehrich J, Kronick S, Nallamothu BK. Resuscitation practices associated with survival after in-hospital cardiac arrest: a nationwide survey. JAMA Cardiology (in press)
117. Tipping CJ, Bailey M, Bellomo R, Berney S, Buhr H, Denehy L, Harold M, Holland A, Higgins A, Iwashyna TJ, Needham D, Presnelli J, Saxena M, Skinner E, Webb S, Young P, Zanni J, Hodgson CL. The ICU Mobility Scale Has Construct and Predictive Validity and is Responsive: a Multi-Centre Observational Study. Annals Am Thoracic Soc (in press)
118. Singer BH, Newstead MW, Zeng X, Cooke CL, Thompson RC, Singer K, Ghantasala R, Parent JM, Murphy GG, Iwashyna TJ, Standiford TJ. Cecal ligation and puncture results in long-term central nervous system myeloid inflammation. PLoS One (2016) 11(2): e0149136. [Journal Freetext Link]
119. Seymour CW, Liu V, Iwashyna TJ, Brinkhorst FM, Rea TD, Scherag A, Rubenfeld GD, Kahn JM, Shankar-Hari , Singer M, Deutschman CS, Escobar CJ, Angus DC. Assessment of Clinical Criteria for Se[sis: For the Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis and Septic Shock (Sepsis-3) JAMA 2016; 315(8):762-774. [Medline Link] [JAMA Link]
120. Admon AJ, Wunsch H, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. Hospital Contributions to Variability in the Use of Intensive Care Untis among Elderly Medicare Recipients. Critical Care Medicine 2016; in press.
121. Prescott HC, Osterholzer JJ, Langa KM, Angus DC, Iwashyna TJ. Late Mortality After Sepsis: A Propensity-Match Cohort Study. BMJ 2016; in press.
122. Iwashyna TJ, Hodgson CL, Pilcher D, Bailey M, van Lint A, Chavan S, Bellomo R. Timing of Onset and Burden of Persistent Critical Illness: A Retrospective Population-Based Observational Study. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2016; in press.
123. Gomez D, Haas B, Larsen K, Alali AS, MacDonald RD, Singh JM, Tien H, Iwashyna TJ, Rubenfeld GD, Nathens AB. A Novel Methodology to Characterize Inter-Facility Transfer Strategies in a Trauma Transfer Network. J Trauma 2016; in press.
124.Sjoding MW, Cooke CR, Iwashyna TJ, Hofer TP. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Measurement Error: Potential Effect on Clinical Study Results. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2016; 13(7):1123-1128.
125. Hodgson CL, Turnball AE, Iwashyna TJ, Parker A, Davis W, Bingham III CO, Watts N, Finfer S, Needham DM. Core Domains in Evaluating Patient Outcomes after Acute Respiratory Failure: International Multidisciplinary Clinician Consultation. Physical Therapy 2016; in press.
126. Arigo M, Kaya E, Parenica J, Ishihara J, Choi D-J, Park JJ, Sato N, Miro O, Maggioni A, Zhang Y, Spinar J, Cohen-Solal A, Iwashyna TJ, Mebazaa A. Precipitating factors and 90-day outcome of acute heart failure: a report from the intercontinental GREAT registry. European J Heart Failure 2016; in press
127. Meddings J, Recihert H, Smith SN, Iwashyna TJ, Langa KM, Hofer TP, McMahon Jr LF. The Impact of Disability and Social Determinants of Health on Condition-Specific Readmissions beyond Medicare Risk Adjustments: A Cohort Study. J General Int Med 2016; in press.
128. Sjoding MW, Schoenfeld DA, Brown SM, Hough CL, Yealy DM, Moss M, Angus DC, Iwashyna TJ, for the NHLBI Prevention and Early Treatment of Acute Lung Injury (PETAL) Network. Power Calculations to Select Instruments for Clinical Trial Secondary Endpoints: A Case Study of Instrument Selection for Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms in Subjects with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Annals ATS 2016; in press.
129. Sauser Zachrisson K, Iwashyna TJ, Gebremariam A, Hutchins M, Lee JN. Can Longitudinal Generalized Estimating Equation Models Distinguish Network Influence and Homophily? An Agent-Based Modeling Approach to Measurement Characteristics. BMC Med Research Methodology. in press.
130. Brilleman SL, Wolfe R, Morena-Betancur M, Sales AE, Langa KM, Li Y, Daugherty Biddison EL, Rubinson L, Iwashyna TJ. Associations between community-level disaster exposure and individual-level changes in disability and risk of death for older Americans. Social Science and Medicine 2017 173:118-125. [Elsevier]
131. Sukul D, Kamphuis LA, Iwashyna TJ, Bradley SM, Chan PS, Sinha SS, Nallamothu BK. Clinical Documentation of In-hospital Cardiac Arrest in a Large National Health System. Resuscitation 2017; (in press).
132. Valley TS, Sjoding MW, Ryan AM, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. ICU admission and survival among older patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heart failure, or myocardial infarction. Annals ATS (in press).
133. Govindan S, Chopra V, Iwashyna TJ. Do Clinicians Understand Quality Metric Data? An Evaluation in a Twitter-Derived Sample. J Hosp Med (2017) 12:18-22.
134. Spencer-Segal JL, Hyzy RC, Iwashyna TJ, Standiford TJ. Psychiatric symptoms in survivors of the acute respiratory distress syndrome: effects of age, sex, and immune modulation. Annals ATS (2017) in press
Please email me if you would like a copy of a manuscript not available here.
[I apologize that I do better job of adding the manuscripts here when they are accepted than updating the links and citations once they finally come out.]