1. Iwashyna TJ, Christakis NA. Physicians, patients, and prognosis. Western J Med 2001; 174(4): 253-254
2. Iwashyna TJ, Christakis NA. Signs of death. J Palliat Med 2001; 4(4): 451-452
3. Iwashyna TJ, Christakis NA. The Necessity and Difficulty of Prognosis. Veterans' Administration Palliative Care Web Portal 2006
5. Kahn JM, Scales DC, Au DH, Carson SS, Curtis JR, Dudley RA, Iwashyna TJ, Krishnan JA, Maurer JR, Mularski R, Popovich Jr. J, Rubenfeld GD, Heffner JE on behalf of the American Thoracic Society Pay-for-Performance Working Group. An Official American Thoracic Society Policy Statement: Pay-for-Performance in Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2010; 181(7): 752-761 [AJRCCM Fulltext] [AJRCCM PDF]
6. Glickman SW, Delgado MK, Hirshon JM, Hollander JE, Iwashyna TJ, Jacobs AK, Kilaru AS, Lorch SA, Mutter RL, Myers SR, Owen PL, Phelan MP, Pines JM, Seymour CW, Wang NE, Branas CE. Defining and measuring successful emergency care networks: a research agenda. Acad Emerg Med 2010; 17(12): 1297-1305 [Wiley Fulltext]
8. Iwashyna TJ, Courey AJ. Guided Transfer of Critically Ill Patients: Where Patients are Transferred can be an Informed Choice. Curr Op Crit Care 2011; 17: 641-647 [Journal Fulltext][Permanent Link] [PDF]
9. Christianson MK, Sutcliffe KM, Miller MA, Iwashyna TJ. Becoming a High Reliability Organization. Crit Care 2011; 15(6): 314 [Journal Fulltext]
10. Iwashyna TJ, Netzer G. The Burden of Survirvorship: An Approach to Thinking About Long-term Outcomes After Critical Illness. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2012; 33(4) 327-338 [Journal Fulltext] [Permanent PDF Link]
11. Iwashyna TJ. The Incomplete Infrastructure for Interhospital Transfer (A Concise Definitive Review). Crit Care Med 2012; 40(8): 2470-2478 [Permanent PDF Link]
12. Iwashyna TJ. Trajectories of Recovery and Dysfunction After Acute Illness, With Implications for Clinical Trial Design. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2012; 186(4): 302-304 [Journal Fulltext][Permanent PDF Link]
13. Seymour CW, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. Managing Uncertainty in Claims-Based Sepsis Research. Crit Care Med 2012 (in press)
14. Cooke CR, Iwashyna TJ. Using Existing Data to Address Important Clinical Questions in Critical Care (A Concise Definitive Review). Crit Care Med 2013; 41(3):886-896. [PubMed Link]
15. Sekaran NK, Iwashyna TJ. "The Patterns of Decline and the Recovery of Physical Function After Critical Illness" in Stevens RD, Herridge M, Hart N, eds. The Legacy of Critical Care. Oxford U P (forthcoming, Fall 2013)
16. Dammeyer JA, Baldwin N, Packard D, Harrington S, Christofferson B, Christopher J, Strachan CL, Iwashyna TJ. Mobilizing Outcomes: Implementation of Nurse-Led Multidisciplinary Mobility Program. Crit Care Nurs Q 2013 36(1):109-119
17. Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. "Design Decisions in Regional Systems of Care" in Webb A, Angus D, Finfer S, Gattinoni L, Singer M, eds. Oxford Textbook of Critical Care Medicine, 2nd edition. Oxford U P (forthcoming, Fall 2013)
18. Iwashyna TJ, Kahn JM. "Regionalization of Critical Care" in Scales D, Rubenfeld G, eds. The Organization of Critical Care: An Evidence-Based Approach to Improving Quality. Springer (forthcoming, Fall 2013)
19. Iwashyna TJ, Hansen-Flaschen J. Introduction to ATS Seminars: Demystifying Data. Annals ATS 2013 10(3): 251-2.
20. Iwashyna TJ, Kennedy EH. Instrumental Variable Analyses: Exploiting Natural Randomness to Understand Causal Mechanisms. Annals ATS 2013 10(3): 255-60.
21. Iwashyna TJ, Odden AJ. Sepsis After Scotland: Enough with the Averages, Show Us the Effect Modifiers. Critical Care 2013 17(3): 148.
22. Iwashyna TJ, Prescott HC. When is Critical Illness Not Like an Asteroid Strike? Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2013 88(5): 525-7.
23. Yende S, Iwashyna TJ, Angus DC. Interplay between Sepsis and Chronic Health Trends in Molecular Medicine (forthcoming)
28. Mikkelsen ME, Netzer G, Iwashyna TJ. Post-Intensive Care Syndrome (PICS). UpToDate published online 14 May 2015. [UpToDate.com]
29. Iwashyna TJ, Liu V. What’s so Different about Big Data? A Primer for Clinicians Trained to Think Epidemiologically. Annals ATS (forthcoming)
30. Elliott D, Davidson JE, Harvey MA, Bemis-Dougherty A, Hopkins RO, Iwashyna TJ, Wagner J, Weinert C, Wunsch H, Bienvenu OJ, Black G, Brady S, Brodsky MB, Deutschman C, Doepp D, Flatley C, Fosnight S, Gittler M, Gomez BT, Hyzy R, Louis D, Mandel R, Maxwell C, Muldoon SR, Perme CS, Reilly C, Robinson MR, Rubin E, Schmidt DM, Schuller J, Scruth E, Siegal E, Spill GR, Sprenger S, Straumanis JP, Sutton P, Swoboda SM, Twaddle ML, Needham DM. Exploring the Scope of Post-Intensive Care Syndrome Therapy and Care: Engagement of Non-Critical Care Providers and Survivors in a Second Stakeholders Meeting. Crit Care Med 2014. [PubMed link]
31. Cooke CR, Iwashyna TJ. Sepsis Mandates: Improving Inpatient Care While Advancing Quality Improvement. JAMA 2014 312(14):1397-1398. [PubMed link] [JAMA]
32. Govindan S, Iwashyna TJ, Odden A, Flanders S, Chopra V. Mobilization in Severe Sepsis: An Integrative Review. J Hospital Med (in press)
33. Iwashyna TJ, Hodgson CL, Pilcher D, Orford N, Santamaria JD, Bailey M, Bellomo R. Towards Defining Persistent Critical Illness and Other Varieties of Chronic Critical Illness. Crit Care Resusc 2015; 17(3): 215-218. [PubMed] You might also be interested in Persistent critical illness characterized by Australian and New Zealand ICU clinicians.
34. Hodgson CL, Iwashyna TJ, Schweickert WD. All that work and no gain -- what should we do to restore physical function in our survivors? Am J Resp Crit Care Med (2016) in press
35. Mikkelsen ME, Jackson JC, Hopkins RO, Thompson C, Andrews A, Netzer G, Bates DM, Bunnell AE, Christie LM, Greenberg SB, Lamas DJ, Sevin CM, Weinhouse G, Iwashyna TJ. Peer Support as Novel Strategy to Mitigate Post-Intensive Care Syndrome. AACN Advanced Critical Care (2016) in press
36. Sales A, Iwashyna TJ. Comment on "Ethnography as a methodological descriptor: The editors reply" BMJ Quality & Safety (2016) in press
37. Iwashyna TJ, Speelmon EC. Advancing a Third Revolution in Critical Care. Am J Resp Crit Care Med (2016) in press
38. Iwashyna TJ, Deane A. Individualizing Endpoints in Randomized Clinical Trials to Better Inform Individual Patient Care: the TARGET Proposal. Critical Care (2016) in press.
39. Govindan S, Iwashyna TJ. Sepsis-3 for Hospitalists: Sepsis Without SIRS. Annals Internal Medicine (2016) 165(4):HO2-HO3. [Pubmed Link]
40. Iwashyna TJ, Hodgson CL. Early Mobilization in ICU is far more than just exercise. The Lancet (2016) 388:1351-1352
41. Sjoding MJ, Iwashyna TJ. Year-in-Review: Room to Improve Current Care for ARDS. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine (2016) in press.
42. The ROSE Protocol Committee, for the NIH NHLBI PETAL (Prevention and Early Treatment of Acute Lung injury) Network. Design and rationale of the Reevaluation Of Systemic Early neuromuscular blockade (ROSE) trial for acute respiratory distress syndrome. Annals ATS (2016) in press.
ROSE Protocol Committee: Angus DC, Moss M, Huang DT, Thompson BT, Ferguson ND, Ginde A, Gong MN, Gundel S, Harbin A, Hayden DL, Hite RD, Hou PC, Hough CL, Iwashyna TJ, Liu KD, Reineck L, Talmor DS, Healy DM.
43. Iwashyna TJ, Haines KJ. Toward More Perfect Partnerships with Survivors in Practice, Research, and Education. Annals of the American Thoracic Society (2016) 13(11):1877–1878 [AnnalsATS]
44. Haines KJ, Kelly P, Fitzgerald P, Skinner EH, Iwashyna TJ. The Untapped Potential of Patient and Family Engagement in the Organization of Critical Care. Crit Care Med (2017) in press.
45. McPeake J, Iwashyna TJ, Devine H, MacTavish P, Quasim T. Peer Support to Improve Recovery Following Critical Care Discharge: A Case-Based Discussion. Thorax (2017) in press.
46. Viglianti EM, Iwashyna TJ. Toward the Ideal Ratio of Patients to Intensivists: Finding a Reasonable Balance. JAMA Intern Med (2017) in press.
47. Costa DK, White M, Ginier E, Manojlovich M, Govindan S, Iwashyna TJ, Sales AE. Identifying Barriers to Delivering the ABCDE Bundle to Minimize Adverse Outcomes for Mechanically Ventilated Patients: A Systematic Review. CHEST (2017) in press.
Some of the Other and "New" Media
Life in the Fast Lane: Driving Pressure (with Chris Nickson): http://lifeinthefastlane.com/ccc/driving-pressure/
Prescott HC, Iwashyna TJ. Sepsis: the largely unknown condition that puts one million people int he hospital each year. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/sepsis-the-largely-unknown-condition-that-puts-one-million-people-in-the-hospital-each-year-43327 1 July 2015
Prescott HC, Iwashyna TJ. What are septic shock and sepsis? The facts behind these deadly conditions. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/what-are-septic-shock-and-sepsis-the-facts-behind-these-deadly-conditions-60599 6 June 2016